Sunday, September 27, 2009

Falling

One of the first few things K taught me in rollerblading yesterday was to learn how to fall.

How similar in spirit is that to life itself. Often, we are taught on how to succeed. But just as often, less attention is paid to how one should fall properly and how to stand back up again. Sadly, that explains the number of people who cannot cope with failure and who break down in varying degrees.

I had a lot of fun learning how to blade yesterday. It involves heightening one's self awareness and being in control of one's body and to maintain a sense of balance. Haha sounds like yoga or wakeboarding (which is another story by itself). Or again, like life itself.

Anyway, I fell quite a few times yesterday, and falling in the wrong ways as well. Which shows how you can know something in theory but somehow still manage to react improperly at the moment itself. But that's what learning is all about! Making mistakes, failing and trying again and again. As a result, I have a bruised palm and probably a few other bruises behind. But, I can also move unaided (albeit very slowly) and can brake and am slowly feeling the momentum of weight shifting after 2 hours. I have such a good and patient teacher! Plus, friends with camera ready to catch the falling moments haha.

I find it pretty surprising and amusing how quickly I am picking up new sports. Badminton, Table-Tennis, Free-style Swimming, Rollerblading. Relatively fast learner. Since when did it happen?! I always thought that I had bad hand-eye-leg coordination haha. Can one suddenly turn cleverer at this? Or, was it that I just didn't have the proper coaching when young. Not complaining though as I prefer this to the scenario if I had been better when young and peaking too early. I am all for improving with vintage just like wine!

Recently, I've also been watching and playing the stock market more frequently. Apart from the obvious learning needed to make gains; I think learning how to lose is even more important in this game as it is inevitable that not every bet would turn out correct. Is wait and hold better or cut loss and move on better. Making the right call and dealing with the wrong call can be such an artform. And again if it doesn't hurt, one doesn't learn!

Seems like learning how to "fall" and "fail" is theme of my recent days:)

No comments: