Tuesday, August 25, 2009

London


On Sunday, I saw a tray at K's house with a London Tube map printed on it.

Yesterday, my colleague gave me a pencil with a London Tube map printed on it.

Today, I started reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman which mentioned a white umbrella with a London Tube map printed on it.

Is this a sign or what? Could London be beckoning me? Haha.

I remember the first and only time I have ever been to London. Its a city that I had decided to like without ever stepping foot on it, because it is English and it has a sort of crusty oldworld and revealing-less-than-it-is type of feeling. Being all alone in the city left me with a mixed feeling of anticipation and guardedness as I pulled my luggage with me to head into the city from the airport.

I like the London Tube map. It reminds me of our own MRT map and the sense of order and ease of comprehension made me feel like I could navigate myself around to wherever I please. I wanted to look for Platform 9 and 3/4 at King's Cross, but I never found it. I remember standing on another brick-laid old platform and thinking, this feels damn London man. I could get used to taking trains from such character platforms.

I caught a glimpse of Trafalgar Square on Duplicity and remember the strange old man who chatted me up as I was trying to pen stuff into my notebook. I saw a drawing of a bridge in London outside K's room and asked if that was the London Bridge. Funny how when one seeks to find a coincidence, it is hard to fail at it?

Prior, I have never heard of nor read Neil Gaiman (he is British. what else could he be?) but he is good. I started reading him this morning and I knew after the first few pages that I would deeply enjoy the book. So happy! I really love getting my hands on good writing and being able to immerse into whole new worlds of imagination and guts.

And talking about guts, my right gut probably is aching too if it knows how to ache. Woke up feeling immobilised on the right body as I continued to discover new previously unwoken muskles. But it is good. It is all good :)

1 comment:

Kenneth said...

i wanna go to london with you... and be a part of the tube map!